contact me:

rosewood@negia.net
CharlesPinckney.com
facebook.com/CharlesPinckneyDesigns

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

'cross the Tracks


Across the Tracks 
ocj219

This piece is titled  ‘cross the Tracks.  I spent my youth in a small southern town with a population of less than 4000 people.  I would expect that there are as many divergent views of the South and all things Southern as there are people expressing views.  The story of this piece, however,  expresses only one view, that of mine as I experienced life as a young black child of the late 50’s and early 60’s. 

‘cross the Tracks represents a perspective that I gained during a time of political and social isolation in that small Southern town.  It was a period of growth and development for me that, while taking place in the  midst of  a segregated world, did not taint me with the prevailing oppression. 



My world as a young boy was warm and protected, rich in creative investigations about human relationships, nature, and the personal strengths of  the people around me, the hands that nurtured me.  The thoughts and inspirations that shaped me so long ago are vibrant underpinnings of my work today.  ‘cross the Tracks is a celebration of growth and personal perseverance.  The titanium axel in the center of the piece represents the toughness of the resolve developed there.  Personal success can literally occur anywhere under any condition.  ‘cross the Tracks can represent a place of despair or, as in my case, a place of hope and victory. Celebrate resolve.

The pendant is fabricated of sterling, titanium, copper, bronze, ebony, six rubies, three freshwater pearls and egg shell matrix.  Dimensions: 1.8 x 2.5 x 0.8 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment