contact me:

rosewood@negia.net
CharlesPinckney.com
facebook.com/CharlesPinckneyDesigns

Monday, January 19, 2015

Sewing Machine Collection




This is my latest fun project, repairing two antique Singer sewing machines.  I have always loved sewing machines, since I was a kid.  I have my Mom's machine, a Kenmore, two Singer and two more machines that I will show images of below.  I don't sew with the machines but am intrigued with the machines themselves and how they work.  The two Singer machines sew beautifully after I have been working with them. They run very smoothly and quiet.



This is the machine that kicked off my love for these things.  It is the Ambassador and is nothing special except for the fact that it belonged to my late Mother and I watched her sew with it.  Do the sounds, smells and memories of this machine create my fascination?  Or, was I already fascinated upon arrival and was only recognizing a part of me? 




This machine is a clone machine that was made after World War II.  Parts of the machine were made in Japan by workers and industries that once made armaments.  The machine is called the Sew-matic and looks to be a clone of one of the Singer machines.  







The label on the machine states 
De Luxe Sewing Machine 
Made in Japan.









The Model P-1 machine was sold under the J.C. Penny brand name Penncrest.  It is a three/fourths machine that would be a good starter machine for someone learning to sew.  I had hoped my kids would be interested in sewing machines, but no luck.  The machine works great and the sides fold up to form the case enclosure.  






Next is the Kenmore, complete with its wooden cabinet.  I just fell in love with the aesthetics of this machine.  Despite the stiffness of the lines on the body, it nevertheless embodies a straightforward honesty in it's design.  The stiffness conveyed without ambiguity that the machine meant business and could carry out that business of sewing for as long as needed.  The machine works perfectly and came with a collection of attachments.  


This is the Singer Featherweight, and it has it's own large table that was especially designed for the machine.  What can you say?  This is certainly one of the most adorable machines ever.  The Featherweight does not do fancy stitchery, but what it does do is sew flawlessly.  






The last machine in my collection is the Singer 201-2.  This is a brute of a machine whose appearance belies that fact.  From sheer fabric to leather, the machine can sew on almost anything.  It is soooooo smooth!  Working on this machine is almost tantamount to working on a watch mechanism.  There is a very high level of craftsmanship evident in all of its components.  I will be using this machine to sew projects for my VW Westfalia Vanagon.  I cannot wait!  So, I won't.















No comments:

Post a Comment